Recipe: Kittencal's Buttery Cut-Out Sugar Cookies

12:00 PM


Christmas is such an important event in the Butron household. For years, I remember my late grandmother, Lola Resty, would host huge parties, inviting the entire family, including old and new friends. My late grandfather would whip up every Filipino dish he knew, especially his amazing Pancit Canton...and my grandma would brag about how early she had woken up that morning to cook her famous Biko. To this day, traditions still reside, my Lola Elsa still makes her delicious Torta, Uncle Percy and his sweet ham, Auntie Ruth and her Filipino spaghetti (complete with the sliced hot dogs), Auntie Marina and her shrimp tempura and my Uncle Jehl and his Chinese food take-out or rotisserie chicken contribution. All these things make the Butron family dinner. You break these traditions and you've left the family wondering "Where's the shrimp tempura?"

This year, I set out to start a tradition. The tradition of making and decorating sugar cookies! I found this recipe by Kittencal from food.com and I have to say, this is probably one of the best sugar cookies I have every tasted. I figure I share with you a new tradition that I definitely will be carrying out next year and hopefully for years after that!


Kittencal also included a simple icing recipe...that hardens!

Icing Ingredients:
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (the sugar must be sifted)
1 tablespoon milk (adding in more if needed for proper spreading consistency)
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (can use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in place of the almond)
food coloring (use your choice of colors)

Directions:
+ In a small bowl mix the confectioners sugar with milk (start with 1-2 tablespoons, you will likely need more milk for the perfect spreading consistency).

+ Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth and glossy (if the icing is too thick add in a small amount more of corn syrup).

+ Divide into as many separate bowls as you wish for different colors.

+ Add in food coloring until desired intensity is achieved.

+ Paint the icing over the cookies using a brush, or dip edges of cookies into icing.

+ Allow to set on waxed paper.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-buttery-cut-out-sugar-cookies-w-icing-that-hardens-261889?oc=linkback

You Might Also Like

0 comments